Thursday, November 4, 2010

Hypocrisy Democracy 2

This a journal I plan on updating occasionally when I see or experience hypocrisy that annoys me. It is not meant to attack or demean anyone. These are true situations and they are my perception of them.
Entry: 2
Date: November 1, 2010
Location: TCC commons

Decided to go to campus to work on essay since trying to write anything with a cute little 4 yr old in your hair tends to get distracting and frustrating.
Sitting upstairs in a common area with 4 tables, several chairs and a couple of electrical outlets for our laptops. I had been working for about two hours and it had been relatively quiet. A couple of girls, and Joel (from my last post-small campus) sat down and began chatting while one of the girls worked on her laptop. One by one the group continually grew and at some point there was about 10 students sitting around talking. Their conversation didn't bother me, they weren't that loud and plus I had headphones and Pandora so I was good.
However, there was one young man that came up and sat down and he was particularly loud. He was obviously trying to impress the group and he kept saying nigga this, nigga that, my nigga, etc...you get my point. I sat there and listened to this mess for awhile trying to ignore him but it seemed like it was every other word. I started getting really angry and after about 20 minutes of this I finally couldn't take it anymore. I said, "excuse me, young man, that word you keep using is really offensive to me." (yes, surprising I was that polite) he looked at me with wide eyes and I could tell he was getting riled up. I then added, "my son is bi-racial and if I EVER heard someone call him that or address him that way I would be all over that person, so I would appreciate it if you wouldn't use it around me anymore." Now, I was expecting some backlash, as I said there were about 10 young people that he was sitting with...I was pleasantly surprised when none of the others said anything and a few even nodded their heads. The young man puffed up told me to "fuck off" and walked away.
I hate that word. I hate the word faggot. There are others I don't use either but you get my point. Why is okay for someone in a particular race, gender, religion, etc. to use those words and yet get angry when someone outside of that group uses it.
Using any of these kinds of words, in a joke, to describe someone or just to hurt someone is wrong. It is ignorant and if I hear you using them, yep, I'm gonna call you out on it. Be nice, it isn't hard and it makes this world much more enjoyable.
Hoot!

1 comment: