Thursday, November 4, 2010

Hypocrisy Democracy

Entry#1
Date: September 16th 2010
Location: Club Expo @ TCC Commons

While manning my booth alone I did an awful lot of people watching. Here's the layout: African Culture Club across hall (10' away) to my left, Poetry club directly across from me, Gay Straight Alliance across and to my right. On my side of the hallway, to my left an unmanned booth and to my right a Christian Alliance club. Enjoyed a long conversation with Joel(real name withheld) from the African Culture club. Extremely nice man and he extended an invitation, stating that all should join. I found this refreshing and important as my son is bi-racial. The poetry group and I have a lot in common so we debated all day. The Gay Straight Alliance, well, should I go on? Very important to me. When I first arrived at my booth a young man was giving his testimony to James (real name withheld), the young man at the Christian Alliance booth. It was interesting and loud. Why they were speaking another young man arrived and was standing in front of my table. He was holding a rolled up poster board. He was excited about it and told the other guys that he wanted to show them a self potrait he had done of himself in his art class. He unrolled it, it was life size, and yeah, I was interested. I was peeking and eavesdropping. He had done a good job of capturing himself physically. Then in his raised left hand he had a Bible, his raised right hand he had a fist full of dollar bills, then he pointed down at the bottom of his poster and under his left foot was a person, holding a rainbow flag or ribbon. They laughed, I let it slide. It was his freedom, right? The young artist rolled up his poster and laid on my table and took a piece of candy meant for my prospective members, put the trash on the table and then sat down on the corner. I politely asked him to remove himself, his poster and his trash. He puffed up, and acted like a typical immature boy. Later, James and I were sitting each at our own booths and we struck up a conversation. It was a pleasant conversation about school, christianity, and his club. He then leaned over to me and said, I can't believe they put those booths right across from us. I asked which ones and he replied the African Culture because they are a bunch of Muslims and the Gay one. He went on to say that the "gays were recruiting" and it was horrible what they were doing and right across from his booth. I suggested that perhaps rather than "recruiting" they were extending a hand to all for peace and coexisting. Thankfully (for him) I had a possible member showing interest, so I turned back to my table. After she left I looked around. Joel from the African Culture club was down by the Gay Straight Alliance cutting up and joking around with several people. Different colors, different religions, one man was in a wheelchair and had a friend that was chatting and helping him with his books and backpack. I looked back to the Christian Alliance table. They were all white, all Christian, and all of them were staring reproachfully at the melting pot group across the hall.

No comments:

Post a Comment